Friday, November 21, 2014

Holiday Card for the Visually Impaired

I so love the texture and depth of this twist on a more traditional card.  My kid sis rehabilitates the blind so we're always on the look out for things that would work well for a person who's visually impaired.  Close your eyes and imagine what you'd "see":  the edges where the green panel meets the red, nubbly background stars, a raised line, the shape of the tree, the texture of the washi tape, the edges where the different tapes meet, the popped up star's dotty edges and slick feel, the embossing on the sentiment.  A lot to experience, no?  I need to ask my kid sis if her braille machine would work with this cardstock.  If not, Enamel Accents?

Also, on my soapbox here, visually impaired isn't just blind.  Many of us will experience degenerating sight as we age (argh) so think about those people in your life who may appreciate receiving a card with texture, larger sentiments (I specifically bought this HA set because of the sentiment sizes) and high contrast.

The Details:  various washi tapes, PTI Fresh Snow ink, Bazzill cardstock, Pop Tone wild cherry cardstock, Recollections white 110 lb cardstock base, Paper Studio embossing folder, Hero Arts sentiment, Little B star die, gold mirror board

I'm entering this in Holly Jolly Christmas Colour Choice (red, green, white), Inkspirational #69 Shine, TIME OUT #19 Embossing (without sparkle option)

8 comments:

  1. LOVE all the texture. Fun embossing folder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you've designed this with the visually impaired in mind - I never really think how my cards feel...just what they look like. I'm sure whoever receives this will love feeling all those wonderful textures, especially the embossed stars and washi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your amazing keeping other people's needs in mind when designing a card. I used to work with a woman who was completely blind and she loved feeling cards and could usually work out what they were for (she was incredible!!). I love the little stars and the different patterns on the tree. Simply brilliant and I'm always happy when you join in with us at TIME OUT!! Oh and congrats on your win at Addicted to Stamps, I just knew that card was a winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this texture is Wondeful for the visually impaired and how about using embossing paste? Great to see you at Ink and Time out

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card and the texture is wonderful whether you see it or feel it!
    Thanks for joining us at Holly Jolly Christmas..
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great card! I love the tree over top the embossing and your white sentiment pops against the green. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Inkspirational!
    - Shauna

    I also have a cat who sits on my craft table to "help." Glad to know there are other crafty cats out there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toni, what a wonderful card! I like the way you used washi tapes, the simple composition that brings the focus on the tree, and the colours choice which is so traditional!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate them all!